Our classic folding knife is a design icon. Simple and beautiful, sharp and durable, the No. 8 is an international bestseller. Tuck it into your pocket for a picnic. Keep it in your desk for workday lunches. Carve into charcuterie, cheese, or a crisp apple, or whittle a stick for campfire s'mores.
Opinel knives are designed to stand the test of time; some carry Opinel knives handed down from parents and grandparents. Follow a few simple instructions to ensure your knife lasts for years to come.
• Hand-wash or wipe clean your blade after each use
• Wipe the blade dry
• Store in a dry place and keep out of damp conditions
• Expect the wooden handle to swell or contract slightly with use; wood is a living material that can be affected by humidity and atmospheric conditions. If your blade feels stuck, use the "Opinel knock" - rapping the end of the knife on a hard surface - to loosen the blade slightly
• Grease the metal parts, including the Virobloc locking mechanism, on a regular basis
• Use a whetstone or other fine-grain natural stone to sharpen your blade. Make sure the blade is dry and clean, and hold the sharpening stone at an approximately 20-degree angle from the blade while sharpening
You should NOT...
• Put your knife in the dishwasher
• Leave corrosive materials (like acidic foods) on your blade for extended periods of time
• Use bleach or chlorine to clean your knife
• Leave your knife in wet or damp conditions
• Blade length: 8.5 cm/3.35 inches
• Materials: Carbon steel blade, varnished beechwood handle
Versatile in its use, classic in its design and construction, the Opinel No. 8 has been carried - and appreciated - by generations. A classic pocket knife designed to stand the test of time.